forum
Suggestionschevron_right "Wallpaper Count"
Join the discussion, post a message
more_vert

a number showing how many wallpapers in each catagorie?  example...movies has 2025 wallpapers.

more_vert

It may be a good idea, in general it's interesting to know how many wallpapers there are in a particular category/search etc.

Since we have two different kind of pagination systems available I'd split this problems into two cases:

1. Traditional pagination (enabled by default): I've recently made a couple of changes to the pagination, now it's possible to see up to 100 pages of wallpapers (an exception are the pages listing our uploads and favorites) and if a search provides for example 61 wallpapers as result  (so 1 full page and another page containing just a single wallpaper) a full pagination will be displayed because we don't count anymore in advance how many pages there are out there. This is a pretty good performance optimization, and most of the times it won't cause absolutely any problem, it's not a coincidence that bigger websites like google etc. use similar solutions to this problem (the problem is that counting exactly how many wallpapers there are in a section may become expensive). So, since this system won't count in advance how many wallpapers there are in a particular section it'll be impossible to display how many wallpapers there are in that particular section, anyway along with every category we keep an automatically updated counter of the number of  wallpapers inside of it, I could just display it, but we'd have to still count all the wallpapers if the section that we're considering is not a category but a search query or something else and I think it doesn't worth the price in this cases.
  2. Endless pagination: In this case the total number of pages available in that section will always be displayed into the pagination bar, so the number of wallpapers inside of it would be something between ( number_of_pages - 1 ) * 60 + 1 and number_of_pages * 60, that it's a pretty good approximation in my opinion.
more_vert

the reason I mention this is because there seems to be no way to see how many total pages a catagorie has now. Is there a way?  When I go to a new site # of pages per catagorie is the first thing I look for to see exactly what kinds of wallpapers a site has.That is just my opinion thoughSmile

more_vert

Sure, I can add this number for categories (but not for searches etc.), I'll probably add it tomorrow because today I'm busy.

more_vert

nice! Grin

more_vert

I've added it in a pretty clean and unobtrusive way, now if we keep the mouse over those buttons with the categores' names we'll no longer see for example "Vehicles category" but "Vehicles category - 102712 wallpapers" instead. This counter will be refreshed every week.

Hope you like it Wink

more_vert

fantastique, thank you!!!Grin

more_vert

for how long is this new feature cached please? the statistics have not changed since implemented.

more_vert

It's cached for a week, so it should change on May 25 I guess, is it too much?

more_vert

a week seems fine, i was just wonderingSmile